Friday, December 11, 2009

Using Test Readers

Using test readers to review your manuscript before it goes to a publisher or to press is a valuable tool. Be sure to choose an audience of test readers who your book is targeted to. My current book series, The Greenhouse Kids, is geared to kids who are aged 8 to 12. I am working with a grade 3 and grade 4 class at a nearby school who were delighted to be asked to test read the second book, Ghost Walk. The students were very excited as they just finished reading the first book, Dan Delion's Secret.

I did let them know that there would be some spelling mistakes, typos or grammatical errors, and that many of them will have already been corrected by the time they finish the test read. I advised the teacher to look past these errors, as the role of the test readers is to concentrate on the story content. Our editing procedure will take care of these typos and grammatical errors.

The role of the test readers is to critique the story. Questions will vary, depending on the nature of your book. Here are some questions that I asked my test readers to include:

Did the story flow well from the first book to the second book?
Does the story flow well throughout the second book?
Is there any part of the story that is confusing to the reader? (after the book is read)
Were there any parts in the story that were not liked?
What were the favourite parts of the book?
Were the readers surprised at any of the content?
Were there any words that were difficult to understand?
Was there a part in the book that required additional explanations?
Provide a general review of the book.

I always ask test readers to be truthful. As writers, we are used to receiving criticism and it should be welcomed. Criticism allows us to become better writers.

I am looking forward to receiving the review from the test readers. It will let me know where changes should be made. I will post the reviews I received from my test readers once I receive them back, which is expected to be later in December.

Shelley Awad
Children's Author
The Greenhouse Kids
Dan Delion's Secret
www.greenhousekids.com
shelley@greenhousekids.com

No comments:

Post a Comment